Blogs > Pets Unleashed

Those who love their pets tend to enjoy all animals. Our animal owners are no different. Check in on News-Herald staffers Robin Palmer and Cheryl Sadler as they share their own animal tales and announce upcoming events in Lake and Geauga counties.

Friday, February 27, 2009

Strong read on primates as pets

I recommend this fascinating piece by the New York Times on the challenges and dangers of keeping primates as pets beyond puberty.

A particularly jolting excerpt from a woman who is estranged from all three of her children because she prioritized her two chimps, Mikey and Louie, instead:
In a New York hotel for a job with Mikey, Ms. Harrison was letting the chimp groom her teeth, which is to say, pick at them -- a not uncommon chimp habit and an example, perhaps, of a chimp simianizing a human.

"All of a sudden I feel a severe pain on the right side of my mouth and then I felt something dripping down my face," Ms. Harrison says. "And there was all this blood, and I look over at Mikey and here he had my tooth in his hand, roots and all. He had pulled my tooth out with one finger."
-- Sandra M. Klepach

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home