Tips on pet safety for the holidays
-- Cheryl Sadler | CSadler@News-Herald.com | @nhcheryl
- With all the holiday visitors and festivities, it’s easy for stressed pets to slip out the door or backyard. Be sure your pet has its tags and microchips updated with your current address and phone number.
- Consider a GPS product like Tagg – The Pet Tracker to calm your fears. Tagg attaches to your pet's collar and will send you an alert if your pet does slip out, and then allows you to track your pet’s location in real time so you can pick him up and bring him home!
- Candles are a fire and burn risk, of course. Many owners turn to scented potpourri, thinking it is a safer option, but it is extremely caustic when ingested and can cause esophageal ulcers.
- Cats love ribbons, string and tinsel. But when ingested, they can lead to a painful condition called "string foreign body" and can actually perforate the intestine.
- Although everyone knows chocolate is toxic, the most common reason pets wind up in the ER is because they ingested too much fatty food and gave themselves an upset stomach or pancreatitis. If you have a relative who insists on feeding the pet treats, keep a bowl of special pet-friendly holiday treats nearby and ask them to feed your pet those instead of pieces of sausage!
- If your pet has an emergency, you can't call 911. The last thing you want to have to do in that situation is look up directions to the vet clinic when you're stressed and in a hurry! Know their phone number and map out the location ahead of time.