Blogs > Pets Unleashed

Those who love their pets tend to enjoy all animals. Our animal owners are no different. Check in on News-Herald staffers Robin Palmer and Cheryl Sadler as they share their own animal tales and announce upcoming events in Lake and Geauga counties.

Monday, January 19, 2009

Where's the heat?

Kitty, my 19-year-old 'baby' had her worst nightmare realized last Friday when the furnace went out on the coldest day of the year.

It's usually a balmy 72 degrees (or more) in my house, but when I woke up to Kitty's meows early that morning, I felt the coldness right away.

Or better yet, the cold shoulder Kitty was giving me.

How dare I let it get that cold in the house.

She sat next to the heater vent and waited for the hot air to come out, but to no avail.

I tried to put a blanket on her, but she walked away almost as if I had insulted her.

I had to act fast. I called the furnace repair man, who could be at the house within an hour or two.

I then plugged in the space heater and aimed it at Kitty.

She was not amused, but seemed to warm up (but not to me) a bit.

In the end, $66 later, the furnace guy, who I think Kitty likes more than me, relighted the pilot light, and the world was good again.

I sometimes think of Kitty when I leave The News-Herald in the wee hours of the morning and walk to my car in the frozen tundra that is paper's parking lot.

As I shovel off the snow and de-ice my car, I picture Kitty with her butt up against the heater.

Life is good.

If the Lord does send us back to this earth once we pass, I hope I come back as a house cat ... in my house.

I just hope the furnace is working.

--Robin Palmer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home