Blogs > Pets Unleashed

Those who love their pets tend to enjoy all animals. Our animal owners are no different. Check in on News-Herald staffers Robin Palmer and Cheryl Sadler as they share their own animal tales and announce upcoming events in Lake and Geauga counties.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Oh, deer!

I witnessed a frightening sight today.

A deer fell through the melting ice in a retention pond behind my house.

As he struggled to break through the ice, I panicked and called 911.

In this business I've seen enough photos and read stories about firefighters risking their lives to save animals in distress.

As the dispatcher checked to see if the fire department was authorized to make the rescue, the deer made its way back to the embankment and fled into the woods.

What a relief!

My thanks go out to the dispatcher, who from the sound of her voice, was truly concerned and sympathetic to my ordeal.

As for the deer, well, I found out he can swim. I just wish he wouldn't tread on thin ice.

-- Robin Palmer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home