Blogs > Pets Unleashed

Those who love their pets tend to enjoy all animals. Our animal owners are no different. Check in on News-Herald staffers Robin Palmer and Cheryl Sadler as they share their own animal tales and announce upcoming events in Lake and Geauga counties.

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Pet Tails: An Introduction


You meet someone new and eventually as part of the ice breaking conversation, the question of whether you are a ‘cat person’ or a ‘dog person’ is sure to come up.

Well, I’m Caitlin, and I’m a zoo person.

Currently, my little exhibit has dwindled down to my 12-year-old dog Shadow, and her brothers, Amigo and Pal (betta fish who share brotherly love from neighboring tanks).
I’ve had a host of pets over the years, which included my best friend of a cat Kiki, who died two years ago of cancer, and three rats: Rufus, Chester and Felix (two of which turned out to be females after their rather masculine names were chosen).

You may be thinking, rats?! But I assure you that these little fur balls are sweet pets and very intelligent. My boyfriend’s bulldog doesn’t know his own name, but these rats would come to me when called.
Speaking of the bulldog… Gus is sure to bring some interesting stories to this blog.

But let’s not forget Buddy, my betta fish who inspired the names for the newbie’s, and Chomper my little African Dwarf frog.
There were more childhood pets too, with more fish than I can count and a hamster who moved with me from Florida.

As I’m sure anyone who reads this blog already knows, pets provide such a wonderful addition to life that comes in the form of joy, support and comfort.

I always dreaded the day that Kiki would pass, like any owner would, but I thought I’d be immobile for days. She was my best friend for the majority of my life, after all. We picked her up as a kitten when I was seven years old.

She was a trooper, however, surviving renal kidney failure when she was just seven or eight years old. She lived a long and happy life, being carted around in a stroller during my younger years, hanging out in laundry baskets and always willing to help out with (or sit on top of) my homework.

I’d like to bring you memories of these pets’ antics as they come, as well as share some of the day-to-day goofball behavior of the current family members.

Caitlin Fertal
@NHCaitlin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home